Child Dental Benefits Schedule
Financial support for basic dental services for children aged 2–17.
- children aged between 2 –17 years on any one day of the calendar year
- receive, or their family, guardian or carer receives, certain government benefits such as Family Tax Benefit Part A for at least part of the calendar year
- are eligible for Medicare
From January 2014, eligible families, teenagers and approved care organisations will receive a letter to confirm eligibility.
A child's eligibility is assessed at the beginning of each year and lasts the whole calendar year. A child is eligible if they are aged 2–17 years for at least 1 day of the calendar year, are eligible for Medicare and are either part of a family receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A or one of the following Australian Government payments:
- Youth Allowance
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Carer Payment
- Double Orphan Pension
- Veteran's Children Education Scheme, if the child is 16 or over
- Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme, if the child is 16 or over
- In 2014, benefits for basic dental services are capped at $1,000 per child over 2 consecutive calendar years.
- If you do not use all of your $1,000 benefit in the first year of eligibility, you can use it in the second year if you are still eligible. Any remaining balance will not be carried forward at the end of the second year.
- Benefits will cover a range of services including examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canals and extractions.
- Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and cannot be paid for any services provided in a hospital.
- Since we at M P Dental Bulk Bill patients under CDBS you do not need to submit a claim.
- You cannot claim a benefit under the Child Dental Benefits Schedule and from a private health insurer for the same dental service.
- Check or update your details for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- Eligibility is based on details held by Centrelink and the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
If your circumstances change and you need to update your family details, you can do the following:
- if you are a Centrelink customer – access your Centrelink online account at my.gov.au
- if you are a Department of Veterans' Affairs customer – call the Department of Veterans' Affairs on 133 254
If you need to update your bank account details with Medicare, you can do this online by accessing Medicare services through your myGov account.